These coffee filter butterflies are a perfect spring craft for kids! Fun for all ages. I used the finished butterflies to decorate a spring wreath that looks beautiful in our kitchen.
We made the butterflies a couple weeks ago when Janie was sick and we needed to distract her with fun things to do. She and Jonathan loved this activity!
To make the butterflies you will need:
- Coffee filters
- Markers (we used washable)
- Eye droppers/water
- Cardboard for making a pattern
- Black pipe cleaners
- Foam wreath (optional)
- Hot glue (optional)
- Burlap ribbon (optional)
To make the butterflies, first decorate some coffee filters. We used markers to make dots all over our coffee filters. You will need a lot of dots, so Jonathan and Owen decided to speed up the process and use three markers at one time!
You’ll want plenty of marker all over the coffee filters.
Then, just drip water onto the coffee filters to blend the colors. Jonathan (4) loved using the dropper! Janie was a little young to figure it out, but she still had fun dipping it in the water.
Young kids like to use LOTS and LOTS of water, so just be aware that they might wash a lot of the color out! (See the one on the left in the photo below.)
After our filters were dry (30 min.), I made a cardboard pattern for the butterflies – see the shape below. Jonathan and Owen both thought that it was too difficult to cut on the coffee filters, so I ended up doing all the cutting. I’m not sure why it was so hard for them, but neither of them could do it!
To assemble the butterflies, cut a piece of black pipe cleaner and fold it in half. Bunch up the coffee filter in the middle and twist the pipe cleaner to make antennas.
So pretty! You can hang these in the window or display them on a bulletin board, etc.
I decided that we needed a way to display our butterflies. I bought a foam wreath at Hobby Lobby, and they had some awesome colored burlap there that was the perfect color to match the butterflies.
I used hot glue to attach the burlap to the wreath. Since I didn’t know exactly what I was doing, I just added more glue every few inches, and it turned out great.
I put the finished wreath on the pantry door in our kitchen. Janie squealed when she saw it and said it was pretty. 🙂
Post a Comment