We got this fantastic idea for ping pong ball shooters from Come Together Kids. I made a couple of revisions – they used them to shoot pom poms and mini marshmallows, and said that the mini marshmallows worked the best. We didn’t have any mini marshmallows, and they’re not a great thing to have landing on the floor with a crawling baby in the house anyway. So we used ping pong balls. They shoot great, don’t damage anything, and the baby can’t fit them in his mouth!
The boys have been running around the house shooting ping pong balls – great indoor fun for bad weather days!
To make one:
- Cut the bottom third off of a restaurant/movie theater/sports venue freebie cup with heavy scissors or a utility knife – this is an adult job! (Laura at Come Together Kids used disposable cups, but had to double them up for strength, so we decided to use plastic cups.)
- Tie a balloon shut – with no air in it.
- Cut the top off the balloon.
- Stretch the balloon around the mouth end of the cup.
- To shoot, simply pull on the knot end of the balloon and let go!
Make it a Science and Math Activity:
More Indoor Activities with Shooting and Throwing:
Angry Birds beanbags and blocks game – Who doesn’t love Angry Birds?
Shoot cotton balls with plastic fork catapults – This one makes for a silly evening of family fun!
Make indoor snowballs and have a snowball fight – Made out of tights. I had to buy some just for this activity – ha!